Here's a decklist:
Creatures:
4 Dark Confidant
4 Descendant of Kiyomaro
4 Jotun Grunt
Spells:
4 Funeral Charm
4 Skeletal Scrying
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Duress
4 Gerrard's Verdict
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Vindicate
Lands:
4 Plains
4 Swamp
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scrubland
Sideboard:
2 Tormod's Crypt
4 Engineered Plague
2 Rule of Law
4 Diabolic Edict
3 Massacre
There's this big, sanctioned Legacy tournament coming up in May, and a friend of mine's let me know that he's got a full set of Scrublands that I can use if I want to go to it with him. (Plus access to any of his large backlog of cards that I might need and he isn't using.) So I've been researching popular decks, and I've come up with this one as my current favorite. I love a lot of the synergies here. I especially like the Descendant and the choice of Gerrard's Verdict over Castigate.
But I have one problem with the deck: Skeletal Scrying. It empties a yard you could feed to a Grunt and takes the life you need to feed Bob. Blech. My best guess is that it's supposed to give you some sort of lategame edge, and maybe get the fetchlands out of your 'yard so the Grunts don't keep recycling them (although being able to shuffle more seems like a good idea to me.)
Don't worry, though. I think I have a solution. Gravestorm. I'm not sure it's as great late-game draw as Scrying (unless you've gone through several Grunts,) but it actually combos really well with Jotun Grunt and wrecks all kinds of various graveyard decks. If you can get a couple of these guys online, you should be golden.
It's not all milk & honey, though. Gravestorm is a more expensive card, so it shouldn't be taken lightly. I'll only put in three Gravestorms, but get rid of all four Skeletal Scryings. That last spot? I think Umezawa's Jitte should turn the trick. If the devil fork is good enough for Bob in Standard, it should be good in Legacy too, right?
My changes are also largely influenced by what I think of the metagame. I can't get into a Legacy game around here (even if I could find one, I'm borrowing all the cards from a friend 600 miles away.) So I've been reading a lot about it online. As near as I can tell, the biggest threats right now are Vial Goblins and Threshold.
The initial decklist doesn't really have much against aggro. Sure, it can knock a bunch of cards out of hand early in the game, but with a turn-one Goblin Lackey or AEther Vial, they're probably playing guys just as fast as you can play discard. Then, once they're in topdeck mode, half your spells are blank. The Jitte might give you a tiny edge in the first game since you can use it for removal, and in non-aggro matchups you can always use it to gain back some of the life that Bob took, or just end the game quicker with pump-ups. I know one-ofs without tutors are a bad play, but with a ton of card draw you just might see that Jitte anyway. Besides, you can always 'Board in a second one if you need it.
With the inclusion of Gravestorm, I think it opens a couple spots in that Sideboard. I don't know how Gravestorm would fair against reanimator decks, but they don't seem that popular. It should work wonders against Threshold, though. So I don't see too much point in boarding more graveyard hate. In place of the Crypts, I'd like to see another Jitte and that fourth Gravestorm (just to be sure that I'm right about how awesome Gravestorm can be.)
There are a few other tweaks I'd like to make to the deck, but I'm much less confidant about them. (Ba-dum-tchsh.)
I'd like to see a couple Paladin en-Vecs or possibly Tivadar of Thorns in the sideboard, to further shore up against aggro and especially Goblins, but I'm unsure what to take out. My first thought is one Massacre and one Engineered Plague, but I think the former can be good against a lot of different matchups (not just the Threshold matchup I pegged it on) and if I'm so worried about goblins, why would I take out an excelent anti-goblin card to put in a lesser one? For all the discard, I feel strong about Combo matchups, but I still wouldn't want to ditch those Rules of Law, just in case. And the Edicts are mostly staying in due to a base-line fear I have for Paladin en-Vec and Akroma.
I'd like to fool with the mana base a bit, too. If I could get 'em, I'd try out Tainted Fields and Godless Shrines (I have two of the latter, anyway.) After adding a couple of shrines, I'd like to see what would happen with a couple less lands over-all and putting in a couple Dark Rituals. (First-turn Gravestorm, or Duress->Hymn?)
Anyway, I'm quite sure these ideas have all been tried already, and I'm terribly, terribly wrong. I don't even win any games at FNM , and here I am talking up a Legacy tourny. Oh well. A nerd can dream, can't he?
13.12.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mike speaking; if akroma/paladin en vec worries you, swords (you already have four) is more than adequate (the likelihood of seeing en-vec in legacy is minimal)
I like the Edicts because they're untargeted removal. Really, I should worry more about good pro-white creatures than pro-black, since my main beaters and all of my non-edict removal is white. I guess it's time to learn to hide under the covers from Wildfire Emissary?
Post a Comment